If you see Error-6189, 816 “ An error occurred while QuickBooks tried to access the company file (-6189,-816), then there is an issue with your multi-user network, and not with your accounting data. Here is how you can resolve this error.
Run Quick Fix my Program from the QuickBooks Tools Hub
Step 1: Download and install the QuickBooks Tools Hub.
- QuickBooks tool hub helps you in fixing common errors encountered.
- First of all, Close QuickBooks.
- Download the most recent version of the QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- Save this downloaded file in the folder where you can easily find it.
- Open the file form the location at which you saved it (QuickBooks Toolhub.exe).
- Follow the steps appearing on your and finish installation of QuickBooks tool hub.
- Agree to the terms and conditions, after installation of QuickBooks tool hub is finished.
- Double click on the icon on the desktop of your window to open QuickBooks tool hub. ( if you don’t find the icon on the desktop, search for it in windows and Select it from the program).
Step 2: Run the Quick Fix my Program, form QuickBooks tool hub.
select Program Problems form the tool hub.
Select Quick Fix my Program.
Start QuickBooks Desktop and open your data file.
Restart all of your computers and servers.
Restart your server computer (the one which hosts your company files).
Restart each workstation (the other computers connected to the network that don’t host your company files).
In your server computer, open QuickBooks Desktop.
Also, Open QuickBooks Desktop on each of the workstation.
From the Tools Hub, run the QuickBooks Database Server Manager on your server
- Select Network Issues in QuickBooks tool hub.
- Select QuickBooks Database Server Manager. It will ask for installation of QuickBooks on the server, if it not already installed.
- In QuickBooks Database Server Manager, If you see your company file(s)., then start scan. But if you don’t see your company files, then Browse to their location and then Start Scan.
- your firewall permissions will be automatically repaired by the QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
- When the scan finishes, select Close.
Now, you can Open QuickBooks Desktop on your server computer and workstations
QuickBooks error 6189 which happens due to lost transaction files can be fixed by running QuickBooks file doctor tool. Error 6189 can also be resolved by using QuickBooks refresher tool.