Are you planning to use the company file in multi-user mode? Well, prior to that you must have QuickBooks Database Server Manager. The QBDSM is a tool of QuickBooks accounting software that has gained a great attention recently. QuickBooks Database Server Manager is a tool to use multiple QuickBooks desktop versions over a network. The article is going to tell you about how to install and use QuickBooks Database Server Manager. To get the information, please stay tuned.
In case you are not prepared to perform the manual installation and use of QuickBooks Database Server Manager, you can get in touch with our tech support team using our dedicated support line +1(888) 910 1619.
What is QuickBooks Database Server Manager?
Intuit has introduced QuickBooks Database Server Manager for helping its users in organizing applications and files for multiple users. It is also used to share the company files with other systems over the network. This tool has become an essential tool of QuickBooks in order to use multiple versions of quickbooks desktop software. Multiple users can work on the same file with this tool. Here are some of the other activities that can be performed using this tool:
- Scanning the QuickBooks company file.
- Checking the local storage to detect the new company file.
Please note that QuickBooks Desktop needs the optimum file performance on the network so that you can install and set the tool on the system in the company file location.
Facts related to QuickBooks Database Server Manager
Here are some of the facts that you must know about QuickBooks Database Server Manager:
- Database server created Network data files (.ND files) for the company files that are stored in the host workstation. If you are using multiple QuickBooks desktop versions then you must have installed.
- If this tool is installed, you are permitted to multiple QuickBooks version processes. It allows you to access different versions of QuickBooks processes and not to the multiple versions of Quickbooks.
- It should be installed separately for each quickbooks desktop version that are installed in the system.
- While using QuickBooks desktop multiple versions, it is important to install the QuickBooks database in the chronological order.
Steps for installing QuickBooks Database Server Manager
To install on the server system, follow the steps that are mentioned below
Before starting with the steps, you should keep these things in mind if you are an accountant or someone who hosts the multiple QuickBooks desktop versions on the network, you must install QuickBooks database. First you must install the oldest version and then as per the chronological order. The steps are:
- Close all the programs that are open on the server system.
- Since QuickBooks Database Server Manager is an intrinsic part of QuickBooks desktop file, hence it should be available with all the Quickbooks. If there is no tool, then you can download and install this tool.
- Open the install file that was downloaded earlier (look for setup_Quickbooks.exe) and reach the start tab with the installation wizard.
- Then you need to follow the on-screen steps so as to install QuickBooks desktop in the system.
- In order to download the update , click on Next only if you have a strong internet connection.
- Close all the programs and then click NEXT.
- Agree on the Terms of the software license agreement by selecting the box against- I accept the terms and license agreement.
- Once you receive the prompt to choose the install type, make a click on Custom or network option.
- Select Next and avoid selecting Express start.
- Choose the best option for Network setup and then click Next.
- If you wish to have the QuickBooks Database Server Manager and QuickBooks desktop on the server system, then you need to select – “I’ll be using QuickBooks desktop on this computer”.
- And you can choose the other option if you wish the database server manager to be on your computer then choose – I’ll not be using QuickBooks desktop.
- Next, click Yes and allow access and enter the unique license number and product number.
- Follow the steps that pop up on the screen.
- Move to the install option and choose it.
It is to be noted that Quickboosks software creates a new window user for every version of QuickBooks Database. You must give the permission to access the folders having the company file.
Steps for configuring QuickBooks Database Server Manager
By now you have installed, now it is the time to configure it. If you want to use the default settings, then this step can be skipped. These are the steps:
1. If only QuickBooks Database Server Manager is installed:
- Open the windows start menu.
- Type services in the search bar.
- Open the services.
- Next, you have to open the QuickbooksDBXX. (XX is version number).
- Reach the General tab and find the server status sections.
- Select stop, if it has started or is running.
- Once this is done, from the Start type, choose automatic.
- Reach to the login tab and select the local system account option.
- Move to the recovery tab and select the restart service form the drop down menu.
- Finally, move to the General tab again.
- And choose the start option to restart the QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
2. If both QuickBooks desktop and QuickBooks Database Server Manager are installed:
- You should first open QuickBooks on the server computer.
- Reach the file menu and then select Open or restore company.
- Now you need to choose the open a company file option and find the open the company file.
- You are then required to click the Next option.
- Select the option of open file in multi-user mode and then select the open tab.
- Once you are done, you need to login to the company file.
- Reach the file menu and then select company/log of.
- The company file on the server would be closed.
- Open the windows start menu and type database in the search bar.
- Open QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
How can QuickBooks Database Server Manager be used?
It allows you to share and manage the company files with the PC over the network. It helps you to monitor the multi-user network. To setup the it follow these steps:
Permitting QuickBooks Database Server Manager to run on the server computer
- To start, you must configure the firewall manually, so QuickBooks Database can run on the system.
- Select the Port Monitor after opening the QuickBooks Database.
- From the start menu, open the windows firewall.
- On the inbound rules, make a right click from the advanced settings.
- Next, you must select the Rule.
- Respectively choose Port and Next option.
- Make sure to choose the TCP.
- In the option of specific local ports, you are required to enter the specific ports.
The port format is as per the QuickBooks that is benign used:
- QuickBooks Desktop 2020: 8019, XXXXX
- QuickBooks Desktop 2019: 8019, XXXXX
- QuickBooks Desktop 2018: 8019, 56728,55378-55382
- QuickBooks Desktop 2017- 8019, 56727, 55272,55277
- Click Next followed by selecting Allow the connection.
- Click on Next, and you need to mark all the profiles.
- Click Next again.
- Create a Rule and name it.
- Click on finish and follow the same steps for outbound rules.
Features of QuickBooks Database Server Manager
1. Database Server Features
- The users logged into each company file are connected to the server.
- The status that displays the services of the QuickBooks database server. All the services must be running when the server hosts the company file.
- If you need to change the status of the services, you should change the service administrative tool so as to configure the services QBDBXX.
2. Update Features
- For downloading the QuickBooks server updates, you should use the updated features and then view the versions of the QuickBooks server:
- Reach the start button and select Program. Then you must reach the QuickBooks and click on QuickBooks database manager.
- Click on Updates.
- To install the updates, you are requested to follow the on screen steps that are displayed on the screen.
3. System Features
- To find any information about the computer as in where is the database server installed, you can use the system feature:
- Select Program in the Start menu.
- Reach the QuickBooks database from the Quickbooks.
- Then you are supposed to click on the system option.
- Check the system information for the computer that has the database server installed.
QuickBooks Database Server Manager is one of the most efficient tools of QuickBooks that helps you to access the multi-user mode. Although sometimes there might be confusion on how to download and set up. For this we have provided you an insight in the article above. After going through the article, you must be able to learn almost everything about it.
If there is anything that comes up later or if there is any question in your mind with the process associated with QuickBooks Database Server Manager. Feel free to connect to QBS Solved by dialling +1(888) 910 1619. We have a very vigilant team of experts available round the clock to help you with your issues.